The city we know as Winter Springs was originally incorporated as North Orlando in 1959 when it boasted fewer than 600 residents. In 1962, 3,400 acres belonging to the Winter Springs Development Company were annexed and the village was re-charted and later incorporated as the City of Winter Springs in 1972. Today, Winter Springs is home to nearly 40,000 people and is poised to remain one of Florida’s most livable ‘small towns’.
Winter Springs consistently ranks among the best places to live in Florida and provides many opportunities for residents and visitors alike to live, work and do business. In recent years, city leaders have:
- Balanced the Budget without raising property taxes.
- Reduced outstanding debt obligations by 100%.
- Increased the City’s credit rating from AA to AA+.
- Increased the City’s Pension Grade from F to A.
- Fully funded its retiree pension plan.
- Provided outstanding Community Events.
Winter Springs consistently ranks as one of the best places to live, work and raise a family in the Sunshine State.
- Ranked one of the top 10 safest cities in Florida
- Named one of the 100 Best Places to Live by Money Magazine
- Ranked 3rd in Smart Travel’s 10 Best Places to Live in Florida
- Ranked 14th in the Chamber of Commerce Best Cities to Live in Florida list in 2019
Learn more about the history of Winter Springs here.